Above, a 1934 plaque from the Big Apple Night Club at West 135th Street and Seventh Avenue in Harlem. Discarded as trash in 2006.
• Air Conditioning in a Glass (Rickey cocktail nickname) (4/30)
• “As seen on TV” (advertising catchphrase) (4/29)
• Windham: Land in the Sky (nickname) (4/29)
• Windham: Gem of the Catskills (nickname) (4/29)
• Tannersville: Painted Village in the Sky (nickname) (4/29)
More new entries...
Above, Big Apple Corner at 54th Street and Broadway in Manhattan.
Above, John J. Fitz Gerald, from the Oct. 17, 1931, Turf Play, p. 7.
Listen to Robert Emmerich introduce The Big Apple, a hit song from 1937. Music written by Bob and performed by Tommy Dorsey's Clambake Seven with Bob on piano. Lyrics written by Buddy Bernier and sung by Edythe Wright. Audio provided by Dorothy Emmerich.