Well, it used to be in Manhattan. Look: "The Big Apple" doesn't have apple orchards. An "egg cream" contains neither egg nor cream. "Madison Square Garden" is not in Madison Square. The "Broadway Blueshirts" don't play on Broadway and don't wear blue shirts in New York. New York City has to make sense?
History of Manhattan College
In 1848, four Brothers of the Christian Schools were sent from France to Saint Vincent's parish on Canal Street, New York City, to begin a school for French speaking immigrants. In the following year boarding students were accepted, forming a separate group which rapidly expanded as an independent academy. In 1853 the boarding school was relocated to newly acquired property near 131 Street in the Manhattanville section of the City. In 1863 the academy received college accreditation from the State of New York and became known as Manhattan College. But when Broadway was built past the 131 street campus with the new IRT subway running at street level within 40 feet of the main building, it was decided to relocate the campus. For this purpose the present site of Manhattan College in the Riverdale section of the city was purchased in 1902, but for economic reasons the move to Riverdale was delayed until 1922 when construction began. - The first Manhattan College catalog listed courses in classical languages, philosophy,science and mathematics as well as commercial courses and music. Many of its students at this time were preparing for the priesthood and some of them became important figures in the hierarchy of the Catholic Church such as Cardinal Hayes of New York City and Cardinal Mundelein of Chicago. The suppression of courses in Greek and Latin by the French superiors of the Brothers at the turn of the century brought changes in the curriculum and the student body. Already in 1893 an engineering curriculum had been introduced, an addition to the arts and science already being offered. After the college moved to the Riverdale campus one side of the main quadrangle was reserved for a new School of Business which graduated its first students in 1928. At present there are five schools within the College: Arts, Science, Engineering, Business and Education. The last of these schools was formally started in 1970 as the School of Teacher Preparation even though education courses had been given at the College since 1896 and had been an important means by which the college had upgraded the education of parochial school teachers in the early to middle part of the 20th century. - After World War II there was a great influx of students at Manhattan College. By 1964-65 the undergraduate enrollment had grown to 3331 men. During this time there were many new additions to the Riverdale campus: dormitory buildings, the science building, the student union (cafeteria) building and finally the engineering building. The faculty up to this time had been predominantly Brothers with relatively few laymen but over the years has become mostly lay men and women along with Brothers who remain prominent in most of the administrative and academic areas of the college. - Coeducation came to Manhattan College in the early 70's, first with the agreement of cooperation between Manhattan College and its sister college, the College of Mount Saint Vincent, located 2 miles to the north and then with the acceptance of women into all its schools. Today women are approximately half of the student body of the college.