A plaque remaining from the Big Apple Night Club at West 135th Street and Seventh Avenue in Harlem.

Above, a 1934 plaque from the Big Apple Night Club at West 135th Street and Seventh Avenue in Harlem. Discarded as trash in 2006.

Recent entries:
“Chefs are hard-working, talented artists. And we all turn their best efforts into shit” (4/18)
“Want to stop drunk drivers from killing sober drivers? Ban sober drivers. That’s gun control” (4/18)
“We are all a little broken. But last time I checked, broken crayons still color the same” (4/18)
“Broken crayons still color” (4/18)
“Sometimes we’re tested, not to show our weakness, but to discover our strength” (4/18)
More new entries...

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Entry from April 15, 2012
“Great abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym”

"Abs are made in the kitchen” is a bodybuilding saying that has been put on posters and other items. The saying implies that great abdominal muscles can be developed through proper diet more than any gym exercise.

“Great abs are made in the kitchen” has been cited in print since at least October 2001.

Wikipedia: Rectus abdominus muscle
The rectus abdominis muscle, also known as the “six pack”, is a paired muscle running vertically on each side of the anterior wall of the human abdomen (and in some other animals). There are two parallel muscles, separated by a midline band of connective tissue called the linea alba (white line). It extends from the pubic symphysis, pubic crest and pubic tubercle inferiorly to the xiphoid process and costal cartilages of ribs V to VII superiorly.

Google Groups: misc.fitness.weights
Salty Crab
Oct 23, 2001
(...)
There’s a saying around my gym, “great abs are made in the kitchen”

Google Groups: misc.fitness.weights
joni
Dec. 28, 2001
(...)
You cannot spot reduce ~ its overall bodyfat you need to shed & build some muscle by lifting weights combined with cardio (muscle burns fat) ~ great abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym ~ ab ‘doer’s’ are *donothings* for working your ab muscles ~ have a read at this site for some tips on what you should be eating & what exercises may help:

Active Low-Carber Forums
LC Sponge
Tue, Jan-15-02, 17:44
Hey Erin - no problem - I want to fiddle with another 3 pounds. I can’t get rid of the arm rests on my waistline thru exercise - and I read that “great abs are made in the kitchen not the gym”.

Google Books
Strength and Power Training for Martial Arts
By Martina Sprague
Hartford, CT: Turtle Press
2005
Pg. 157:
Others say that any exercise that involves the ab muscles (which are most movements to some degree) gives the abs enough training, and that it is unnecessary to do additional ab work. Still, others say abs are made in the kitchen, and you can get good abs only by dieting and not by training.

ABC’s Good Morning America
Jan. 3, 2006
The Abs Diet
(...)
Dave Zinczenko, author of “The Abs Diet Get Fit, Stay Fit Plan,” said that people needed to be more realistic about weight loss. The process is not as daunting as everyone thinks. Three or four times a week at the gym is all it takes.
(...)
In addition to exercise, Zinczenko said the key to toned abs was diet. “Abs are made in the kitchen.”

Google Books
March 2006, Men’s Health, pg. 54, col. 2:
SIX-PACK SCIENCE There’s an old saying: Abs are made in the kitchen— meaning, your diet plays a greater role in burning belly fat than you workout does. And a new study from Brazil supports that notion.

CBS News
August 27, 2009 12:40 PM
Can Exercise Make You Gain Weight?
(...)
COMMENTS
by SunDog8259 August 28, 2009 9:17 AM EDT
She is spot on. Great abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym, as the saying goes. I reached my goal weight by eating more and exercising less. Exercise is only a temporary appetite suppressor, I work out while fasting and find it can raise blood sugar.

Yahoo! Answers
The phrase “abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym” how true is that?
(...)
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Its 70% true, as everyone has abdominal muscles. In some people they are hidden by fat, a proper diet gets rid of the fat and allows the abs to be seen. You should supplement this proper diet with exercise to tone the abdominal muscles and to help rid the body of fat. Also its not really as important the amount of food, they eat alot but its usually healthy food. As long as you eat healthy the proportions of the food matter less, though they are still important.

Going to the gym is never a waste of time, you can burn off some of that food you just ate. Just make sure that you never work your abs two days in a row. Allow 24-48 hours between abdominal workouts to achieve optimal results.

Good luck!
1 year ago

Posted by {name}
New York CityExercise/Running/Health Clubs • (45) Comments • Sunday, April 15, 2012 • Permalink

Valuable info. Lucky me I found your site accidentally, and I am stunned why this accident didn’t came about earlier! ...

Posted by: Rendi  on  05/06  at  04:07 AM

I’m glad I found your website, You’ve got some great resources. I’m almost 54 and have been maintaining “flat” abs for a lot of years now and can agree that much of it starts in the kitchen. I will eat several times a day. Pretty much when ever I am hungry. I will eat some yummy snacks too, but 80% of my diet is quality mix of proteins, carbs and healthy fats. I don’t go to the gym, but ride my bike and mix exercising at home with my rowing machine. Check out my site at http://Stomachexercisesformen.net

Posted by: John Heppe  on  05/15  at  04:15 PM

It’s very interesting news. I can’t believe that how you made abs in the kitchen. I know it’s so common to make abs in gym but it sounds harsh that someone make great abs in the kitchen. But after reading this post, I can say it can be possible. I’ll also follow these tips to make my abs at home.

Posted by: west island gyms  on  05/21  at  07:16 AM

wow , great title , make me want to read this blog , thanks

Posted by: Agung Tri Enggono  on  05/22  at  07:47 AM

I disagree. Mixed Martial Arts is a serious combat and people spend a lot of time to train themselves physically and mentally.

Posted by: Viktor  on  05/28  at  07:15 AM

I completely agree with you!

You should be very careful what and when you eat.

With proper diet you can eat almost everything.. but you shoulld not eat anything after 8 pm if you want to have a six pack abs..

Posted by: 6PackAbdmoninal  on  06/05  at  05:41 AM

Great abs are NOT made in the kitchen!  Great abs are absolutely made by training them like any muscle group in the gym.

Dieting shows off your “great abs”.

Posted by: Ken  on  06/10  at  11:54 AM

Great abs are made by working them hard. You do not need to go to the gym. There are many other ways to work those abs, for example by playing soccer, swimming, boxing or by doing bodyweight exercises.

If you want your abs to be visible you need pay attention to your diet and eliminate refined carbohydrates.

Posted by: Kelly  on  06/24  at  09:22 AM

I agree with the quote...somewhat...They start in the kitchen and then “roll-out” to the gym. There’s no point exercising all day then eating a couple Mars bars or vice versa. I red a good review Abs For Life Review about a product that Neil frost created. I highly recommend it because it is what helped me lose weight.

Posted by: Jack Barker  on  07/06  at  02:20 PM

This is so important! I think one reason people tend to gain back weight is that they think they are “done” and go back to their old habits. The mantra I adopted for maintaining my weight loss was: If I go back to my old ways, I’ll get back to my old weight.

Posted by: Bodybuilding diet plan  on  07/13  at  12:53 PM

I completely agree with this! I am currently dieting using the intermittent fasting method and I have lost 50 lb’s in total. Some weeks I only go to the gym once but my body is still burning more calories than I am eating through the diet due to my basal metabolic rate. Getting great abs is all about your diet, if you’ve got a layer of fat covering them you won’t even see them..

Posted by: stubborn belly fat burning  on  07/17  at  04:29 PM

I know its a cliched saying but it really is true- think how much exercise your abs do even when your going about your daily life- most people have surprisingly strong abs, its just keeping the fat low that makes them visible.

Posted by: Six Pack  on  07/20  at  09:25 AM

To tell the truth I don’t agree with these statements. The diet really helps. Especially the carbohydrate-free diet. But without doing excercises, it won’t work. You have to do abs excercises every day + do carbohydrate-free diet!

Posted by: john budapest  on  07/23  at  05:04 AM

Yeah I agree with you...Our nutritions are so important for the body building

Posted by: Sixpack Vody  on  07/23  at  12:16 PM

Awesome dealing with Abs issue! I appreciate that an abdominal muscles can be build throughout the proper diet more than any gym exercise. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Banner  on  07/26  at  03:00 AM

Wow! i am really happy with your blog as the content is very helpful. its really true that body maintenance starts from the kitchen.

Posted by: Isoniazid  on  07/29  at  02:58 PM

I also see this words on print at our local gyms and it’s indeed true but we can’t deny the facts that some of us also use supplements to help us lose weight fast. Healthy food+exercise+supplement is the key to an effective diet.

Posted by: phen375  on  07/30  at  12:16 PM

I do not believe in diets, believe that everything should be solved naturally, thought before but now no longer.

Posted by: Como acelerar el metabolismo  on  08/05  at  09:09 PM

Yup, I’ve quite agreement with the opinion that proper diet is better than any gym exercise. Making a remarkable abs is possible throughout the kitchen as proper diet not in the hard gym practice.

Posted by: Martin paul  on  08/11  at  03:37 AM

awesome. made in kitchen right. nice.

Posted by: Produsen Kereta Mini  on  08/12  at  01:07 PM

Posted by: mustapha hafidi  on  08/17  at  04:24 PM

Gyms, mecca of the 21st century; where you can burn your calories for weight loss and get a good body. Thank you for this article.

Posted by: Burning Calories  on  08/22  at  07:21 PM

I think many people underestimate the impact of diet on training programs. Good that many are waking up to this fact.

Posted by: Jason Perot  on  08/26  at  12:19 PM

"Abs Are Made In The Kitchen”

When I first started working out, I would constantly hear my peers advocate this statement, but due to my inexperience and cocky ignorance, I learned the hard way of it’s validity.

Nutrition is the number one factor you must adhere to when it comes to obtaining your fitness goals.

Even when it comes to building muscle, if you only workout while neglecting your calorie intake, you’ll probably end up over training, and hurting yourself.

So yes, when you say that “Great Abs Are Made In The Kitchen”, I completely agree.

Posted by: How To Lose Stubborn Belly Fat  on  08/27  at  03:32 PM

You hit the problem on the nail.  I’m guessing 2/3 of the USA wishes they could get ideal abs. And about the kitchen; I believe a high protein high carbs diet on the days of workouts and protein low carbs on the off day is generally a point in the right direction.  I appreciate your site.  I’ll be back to read more.

To your success, Pennie