Above, a 1934 plaque from the Big Apple Night Club at West 135th Street and Seventh Avenue in Harlem. Discarded as trash in 2006.
• Clash of the Boroughs (Brooklyn Nets vs. New York Knicks) (4/22)
• Battle of New York (New York Islanders vs. New York Rangers) (4/22)
• New York Derby or Hudson River Derby (New York Red Bulls vs. New York City FC) (4/22)
• Hudson River Derby or New York Derby (New York Red Bulls vs. New York City FC) (4/22)
• Pigeons (New York City Football Club or NYCFC nickname) (4/22)
More new entries...
Above, Big Apple Corner at 54th Street and Broadway in Manhattan.
Above, John J. Fitz Gerald, from the Oct. 17, 1931, Turf Play, p. 7.
Listen to Robert Emmerich introduce The Big Apple, a hit song from 1937. Music written by Bob and performed by Tommy Dorsey's Clambake Seven with Bob on piano. Lyrics written by Buddy Bernier and sung by Edythe Wright. Audio provided by Dorothy Emmerich.
This site is edited by Barry Popik.