A plaque remaining from the Big Apple Night Club at West 135th Street and Seventh Avenue in Harlem.

Above, a 1934 plaque from the Big Apple Night Club at West 135th Street and Seventh Avenue in Harlem. Discarded as trash in 2006. Now a Popeyes fast food restaurant on Google Maps.

Recent entries:
“What’s the difference between an American & a computer?"/"An American doesn’t have troubleshoot (2/1)
Entry in progress—BP (2/1)
Entry in progress—BP (2/1)
Entry in progress—BP (2/1)
Entry in progress—BP (2/1)
More new entries...

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Entry from May 05, 2010
Round Rock (summary)

Entry in progress—B.P.

Wikipedia: Round Rock, Texas
Round Rock is a city located in Travis and Williamson counties in the U.S. state of Texas. A part of the Austin–Round Rock–San Marcos metropolitan area, its population was 79,136 as of the 2000 census. The 2008 census estimates placed the population at 104,446.

In August 2008, Money Magazine named Round Rock as the seventh-best American small city in which to live. Money based this ranking on an estimated annual income of $85,809 per household, and job growth of 45.15% from 2000–2007 (well above the 18.6% national average). Round Rock was the only Texas city to make the Top 10. In a CNN article dated July 1, 2009, Round Rock was listed as the second-fastest growing city in the country, with a population growth of 8.2% in the preceding year.

According to the 2008 ratings from the Texas Education Agency, the Round Rock Independent School District ranks among the best in the state. Of 42 schools within RRISD, 12 were rated exemplary and 11 are recognized. No RRISD schools received an academically unacceptable rating.

Round Rock is located on the prairie east of the Balcones Escarpment, and about a 20-minute drive north of Austin, or 45-minute drive during rush hour. Several toll roads now connect it with the greater Austin area, somewhat easing the traffic congestion.

Round Rock has been represented in the Texas House of Representatives since 2009 by Democratic member Diana Maldonado, a former Round Rock ISD school board member.

In 1851 a small community was formed on the banks of Brushy Creek, near a large round rock located in the middle of the creek. This round rock marked a convenient low-water crossing for wagons, horses and cattle. The first postmaster called the community Brushy Creek, but in 1854 the small settlement was renamed Round Rock in honor of this now famous rock. The “round rock” is located near Chisholm Trail Street in the middle of Brushy Creek. After the Civil War, Jesse Chisholm began to move cattle from South Texas through Round Rock, on the way to Abilene, Kansas. The route he established, which crossed Brushy Creek at the round rock became known as the Chisholm Trail. Most of the old buildings, including the old Saint Charles Hotel are still there today. This historic area is now called “Old Town.”

Handbook of Texas Online
ROUND ROCK, TEXAS. Round Rock is on Interstate Highway 35 in south central Williamson County, sixteen miles north of downtown Austin. It was established on the north bank of Brushy Creek where Jacob M. Harrell, formerly a blacksmith in Austin, set up his shop during the spring of 1848. The settlement was first called Brushy Creek. Thomas C. Oatts, who became the first postmaster in 1851, was asked by postal officials to submit another name, and on August 24, 1854, the town officially became Round Rock, as suggested by Oatts and Harrell, who often fished together from a large anvil-shaped limestone rock in Brushy Creek near their dwellings. The Chisholm Trail, used by early cattle drivers on their way to Kansas, passed through Round Rock, crossing Brushy Creek near the rock.

Washington Anderson had settled a short distance east of the original Round Rock in 1843 and built a gristmill, which was washed out by a flood in 1845.

City of Round Rock
A Brief History of Round Rock
Originally, Round Rock was not named Round Rock nor was it located where it is currently. Coincidence and fate combined to determine the location of Round Rock.  The initial settlement of Brushy (as the town was originally called) was located near the banks of Brushy Creek at the natural fording area by the round rock. 

The Brushy Creek Post Office was established in a section of Thomas C. Oatts’ store on May 27, 1851. However in 1854, postal authorities asked Mr. Oatts to provide another name for the settlement (being that there was already a town in the State that called itself Brushy). Mr. Oatts decided to rename the town Round Rock in recognition of the large rock in the middle of Brushy Creek where he and Jacob Harrell spent much time sitting and fishing; thus on August 24, 1854, the name of Round Rock was officially given to the community (Scarbrough 310).

The Portal to Texas History
25 August 1852, South-Western American (Austin, TX), pg. 3, col. 3:
Rogan & Heppenstall at Lockhart, Mr. Oatts on Brushy, and Mr. Wood on nine mile creek are my authorized agents.
FRANCIS T. DUFFAU, Congress Avenue, Austin.

The Portal to Texas History
16 July 1853, Texas State Gazette (Austin, TX), pg. 377, cols. 1-2:
Barbacue at Round Rock, Williamson County.
Editor of the State Gazette:

On the morning of the Fourth of July, a large and respectable concourse of people having met at Round Rock, the order of the day was announced as follows: Declaration of Independence, Oration, Dinner, Speeches of the Candidates.
Five years ago, on Brushy creek—upon which Round Rock is situated—the sttlements were exceedingly sparse, and agriculture excited but little attention, and that only in intervals of peace when the war-worn pioneer might lay down for a while his rifle and gory blade to follow its milder pursuits; but now a change indeed has passed over the country, and broad fertile farms in close proximity smile in rich and luxuriant harvests for many a mile up and down its lovely valley.

10 September 1853, Texas State Gazette (Austin, TX), pg. 30, col. 3 ad:
Any information about the horse will be paid for by addressing me at Round Rock, Williamson county.
August 22, 1853.

The Portal to Texas History
3 June 1854, Texas State Gazette (Austin, TX), pg. 292, col. 2:
At the crossing of Brushy creek, quite a beautiful little village has sprung up within a year or so past, called “Round Rock.” It now contains a steam saw and grist mill, three dry goods stores, a drugstore, postoffice, blacksmith and wagon shop. The country around it is settling up rapidly. We counted no less than ten new houses, principally private residences, in course of erection in the village and suburbs. The location is a healthy and beautiful one, and we predict that “Round Rock” will soon become a village of considerable importance.

Posted by Barry Popik
Texas (Lone Star State Dictionary)Round Rock (city name etymology) • (0) Comments • Wednesday, May 05, 2010 • Permalink